Gourmet Turkey Burger

Gourmet Turkey Burger with goats cheese, sundries tomatoes and caramelized onions

Gourmet Turkey Burgers: A bold statement, but these feisty burgers live up to the name! They have red pepper flakes inside and are topped with my favorite gourmet trifecta: goat’s cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and caramelized onions.

Oh! And it’s all sandwiched in a perfect crusty French baguette. Gourmet indeed!

We’ve all suffered through a dry, tasteless turkey burger vowing never to eat another one ever again with each bite. But these are worthy of breaking that vow.

These gourmet turkey burgers are incredibly juicy with just the right amount of kick to bring the excitement to the table. The flavors blend seamlessly together: the spice from the burger offsets the tangy goat’s cheese and the sweet caramelized onions.

Gourmet Turkey Burger with goat's cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and caramelized onions

And sun-dried tomatoes are just for fun. And just for me because sun-dried tomatoes make me smile.  🙂

My husband declared these turkey burgers “better than Farm Burger!” and, as usual, he was right!

I’ve made these turkey burgers several times with different toppings and it’s become an easy weeknight staple, but with the goat’s cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and caramelized onions it becomes a gourmet treat worthy of date night or company.

Gourmet Turkey Burger

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 12 minutes

Yield: Serves 4

Gourmet Turkey Burger

The flavors in these gourmet turkey burgers blend perfectly: the spice in the burger compliments the tangy goat’s cheese and the sweet caramelized onions.

Ingredients

• 1 lb ground turkey
  • 3 large pinches kosher salt
  • fresh cracked pepper
  • ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • Goat’s cheese
  • 6 sundried tomatoes, sliced
  • Caramelized onions
  • Arugula
  • ½ French Baguette or another crusty bread

Instructions

1. Mix together ground turkey, salt, pepper, and red pepper. Form into 4 equal patties. Preheat a grill or a grill pan over medium high heat until searing hot. Brush grill pan or grates with olive oil right before adding the burgers.
  2. Cook the burgers, flipping once, until a thermometer read 165° or the insides are no longer pink. This cook time will depend on how thick you form your patties. Mine took approximately 12 minutes.
  3. While the burgers cook prepare your toppings and slice the baguette into 4 pieces and cut each in half. Smear each piece of the baguette with goat’s cheese to your taste.
  4. Top with a burger, caramelized onions, sundried tomatoes and arugula. Enjoy!

• Kristine @ Kristine's Kitchen
    May 16, 2014 at 1:32 pm

These look seriously amazing! Caramelized onions, sundried tomatoes, and goat cheese? Super yum! I am so excited that grilling season is here, and I cannot wait to make these burgers. Pinned!!

May 16, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Thanks, Kristine!! I am super excited that grilling season is here too because that means less cooking for me! I am not the grill master around here (thank, God!)

• Monet
    May 16, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Now this looks like the kind of turkey burger I could love! Beautiful pictures and wonderful recipe!

May 17, 2014 at 11:51 am

Thank you, Monet! I know what you mean…turkey burgers are often bland and super dry!

• Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen
    May 17, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Love all that goat cheese and the red pepper flakes. I have to stop myself from sprinkling red pepper flakes on everything! I love the way they taste and they are just so pretty 🙂

May 17, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I know! I used them in tonight’s dinner too. They just add so much flavor for very little effort!

• Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking
    May 19, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Slide a batch of sweet potato fries alongside, and this is my perfect summer meal! Oh, plus a glass of cold white wine! 😉 Wonderful recipe, Lindsey.

May 19, 2014 at 4:27 pm

I couldn’t agree more!!!

• Annie @Maebells
    May 20, 2014 at 11:16 am

This looks great! Usually turkey burgers I make fall a bit short in my opinion, but your version seems jam packed with flavor! I love the addition of the sun dried tomatoes, such a good idea!

May 20, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Thanks! Let me know if you try them!

• Liz
    May 20, 2014 at 8:43 pm

What a terrific burger! I’m so glad grilling season has arrived and I need to shake up our usual beef burgers with some of your twists!

May 20, 2014 at 10:25 pm

I hope you do! I like grilling season because it means that I don’t always have to cook!!

• Ella-HomeCookingAdventure
    May 21, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I am sure these are delicious. Very nice idea.

May 22, 2014 at 9:39 am

Thanks, Ella!

• Josephine
    May 21, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Made these delicious turkey burgers for dinner tonight, and they were DELICIOUS!! The best ever – I felt like I was eating at a hip restaurant. I will be sure to send this recipe along to my grown children. Thank you!

May 22, 2014 at 9:41 am

I’m so glad you liked them! Isn’t it funny how they feel so chic? – your kitchen instantly became Chez Josephine! 😉

Did you grill them inside or outside?

• Josephine
        May 22, 2014 at 11:14 am

Inside – I got home late and had to hurry.

May 22, 2014 at 11:58 am

No judgement here! I do all my grilling inside because I can’t figure out the communal gas grills!

• Monet
    May 21, 2014 at 11:50 pm

These certainly do look gourmet! I love that you served them on a baguette! Thank you for sharing!

May 22, 2014 at 9:41 am

Thanks, Monet! I am all about the baguette!

• Wendy
    May 21, 2014 at 11:51 pm

I would definitely say that goat’s cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and caramelized onions are my perfect gourmet trifecta too! Can’t wait to try this with some ground chicken soon. These burgers look delicious!!

May 22, 2014 at 9:42 am

Haha! There is just something about the combo that makes me feel so posh! I hope you do try them!

• Adriana@WearEatLove
    May 23, 2014 at 12:23 am

This looks amazing! And the combination…I have to try it! Love your photos!

May 23, 2014 at 10:21 am

Thanks, Adriana! I hope you do try it!

• Miss Kim @ behgopa
    May 23, 2014 at 2:46 am

Looks delicious. So these are the turkey burgers you were making those caramelized onions for that one time! I take it that your caramelized onions have been perfectly mastered now.

When we make patties for family meal at work, this is how we eat them too, on baguettes….since our bakery side sells baguettes and we use the leftovers for family meals and croutons or whatever.

May 23, 2014 at 10:25 am

Indeed it was 🙂 I would eat my finger on a baguette…not really, that’s gross, but you get the idea!

The idea was to have some left overs of this baguette for French onion soup but we ate it all!

• […] American Heritage Cooking – Gourmet Turkey Burger […]

• […] gets too chilly? Then perhaps turkey burgers are a better idea for you! This delicious recipe from American Heritage Cooking suggests putting your turkey patty on a slice of baguette and topping it with caramelized onions […]