It is with full confidence that I bring you the best pumpkin pie in a flaky all butter pie crust! It is perfectly spiced, creamy and rich.Jump to Recipe
This pumpkin pie is a variation on the Foolproof Pumpkin Pie I posted 5 years ago. It isn’t blow-your-mind different but I have been adjusting the spices over the past several years to really create a pumpkin pie that is addictingly good.
I didn’t want to change the old recipe because it has its own devoted fan-base on Pinterest and beyond. Who could deny hundreds of thousands of people their favorite pie?
I find myself caught between the “don’t fix what isn’t broken” and “always be improving” mentalities. When it comes to pastry it takes an almost unattainable level of perfection for me to stop tweaking a recipe. In my mind it doesn’t have to be broken to be improved upon.
I have the spices to all my recipes dialed into 1/100th decimal point accuracy. Yes, 2 decimal points 🤓 Blame the math degree or the inescapable inner perfectionist. You wouldn’t be wrong either way.
Aren’t you glad you don’t live in my head?! 😂
What are the keys to the Best Pumpkin Pie?
So glad you asked 😜
- Spices that are as fine-tuned as my Mom’s piano. I’ve converted my gram measurements to the more typical teaspoons because most home scales are only accurate +/- 2 g. They also aren’t super sensitive, which means you need a certain weight on them before they will register a change. That adds up when you are weighing 1 g of cloves. I use a specific scale for spices, leavening and salt at work. Here it is if you also want to be nuts.
- Sweetened condensed milk adds sweetness without adding moisture. It helps thicken the custard and gives the final filling that extra richness.
- Par bake your crust. Nobody likes soggy bottoms. Not Mary-Berry [oh hey there fellow GBBO fans! 👋🏻] and definitely not me. I will link to my YouTube Tutorial on just that.
- Don’t poke your pie. Use the wiggle test! It deserves an un-cracked beautiful surface. Instead of stabbing it with a knife, just give it a gentle shake. If it looks loosie-goosy in the center or in any way liquid, it ain’t done. It should be puffed and move like Jello in one cohesive unit. Like a cheesecake. Poke it if you must but unmarred pies can be in your future!
The Best Pumpkin Pie
- 15 oz pumpkin puree 1 can
- 14 oz Sweetened condensed milk 1 can
- 2 ea Eggs
- 2 t Ground Cinnamon
- ½ t Ground Cloves
- 1 ¼ t Ground Ginger
- ¼ t Ground Nutmeg fresh ground is even better!
- 1 ⅛ t Kosher Salt
- 1 Pie Dough for a Single Crust
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
Par bake pie shell:
- Roll chilled pie dough to a little less than ¼ inch thick. Place in pie dish 9-9.5”. Chill completely, approximately 30-45 minutes.
- Trim any excess dough that hangs over the edge more than ½ inch. Roll under and crimp decoratively. Chill completely.
- Line with parchment, fill with baking beans or pie weights, bake 15 minutes before removing the parchment and weights. Continue baking until the bottom is golden brown.
- Once crust is ready, whisk all ingredients together until there are no visible streaks or bits of egg.
- Pour into parbaked shell. Bake 350°F 35-40 minutes or until set on the edges and jiggles slightly in the center.
- Cool completely prior to cutting
Will keep up to 7 days in the refrigerator.
Did you make this recipe? I want to hear all about it! 🥳 Tag me on Instagram @cheflindseyfarr and use the hashtag #cheflindseyfarr